OppLoans 2020 Review
OppLoans is a direct lender based out of Chicago that offers small, short-term online personal loans and lines of credit to consumers with poor credit.
Since 2009, OppLoans has provided short-term personal loans to consumers with bad credit. Their experienced, online Chicago-based service provides loans directly through their website instead of through a loan marketplace
These small personal loans are offered in 37 states and applying will not affect your credit score.
OppLoans also offers lines of credit in some states (at the moment only in Kansas, Tennessee, and Virginia).
At a minimum to apply for a loan with Opploans, you should meet the following criteria:
- Be at least 18 years of age or meet the state's minimum age requirement, whichever is higher
- Be a US citizen or permanent resident
- Have an active and valid checking account
- Have a steady income via direct deposit
- Have a valid Social Security number
- Meet your state's minimum income requirement (which can range from $1,500 - $3,500 a month)
- Reside in one of the following states: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, California, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina, South Dakota Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Wisconsin, Washington or Wyoming
- States that offer direct installment loans include: Alabama, California, Delaware, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Mississippi, Missouri, Nevada, New Mexico, Ohio, South Carolina, Texas, Utah, Wisconsin
- States that offer lines of credit include: Kansas, Tennessee, Virginia
- States with loans originated and funded by FinWise Bank include: Alaska, Arizona, Florida, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Oregon, Wyoming
- Opploans currently does not have a product for active military
Your application will ask you to provide the following documentation:
- Your contact information such as your name, address, email, and phone number
- Your bank account information
- Your income and employment information
- Recent pay stubs and proof of income
Opploans is more focused on your ability to repay rather than a traditional FICO score. However, they do report payment history to the 3 major credit bureaus
Typically an applicant is approved or denied in one business day. Pre-qualified applicants are still subject to verification guidelines.
Once approved and the applicant has signed the agreement, they will receive the funds in 1-2 business days via ACH.
Phone: 800-990-9130 Email: [email protected] Address: 130 E Randolph St, Suite 3400 Chicago, IL 60601
- BBB Accredited service: OppLoans is accredited with an A+ from the BBB (since 1/1/2016). As of March 22nd, 2020, they also have 1049 customer reviews on the official BBB website with an average rating of 4.6 out 5.
- Great customer service: Clients have stated that OppLoans' representatives were friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful.
- Easy application process: OppLoans offers a simple application process that allows consumers to submit an application in a matter of minutes and receive approval quickly.
- Three bureau credit reporting: OppLoans reports to all three major credit bureaus, allowing you the opportunity to build positive payment history with on-time payments.
- Large loan amounts: OppLoans has larger loan amounts (typically $1,000 - $4,000)
- Extra educational services: In addition to their loans and lines of credit, OppLoans has a blog called OppU that has additional educational tips to help consumers with any financial issues.
- Protects your personal information: OppLoans has an active security certificate to protect any personal and sensitive information entered on their website.
- OppLoans doesn't offer their services in every state.
- Because OppLoans specifically provides short-term loans for those with poor credit, their interest rates are on the high side (can be up to 199% APR).
- Consumers in some states have to pay additional fees for administrative fees, late checks, and returned checks.
- OppLoans provide loan amounts ranging from $1,000 to $4,000.
- Interest rates fall between 59% to 199%.
- Opploans may include a late fee (their rates and terms are on their site).
- Depending on your state of residence, OppLoans may charge a late fee of up to $10.
- There are no prepayment fees.
- Loan terms can range from 9 to 24 months.
- Your monthly payments for lines of credit depend on your loan terms and the amount of money you withdraw. OppLoans will charge you a minimum required payment on your line of credit, although you can repay it sooner or at any time to reduce interest charges. Minimum required payments can be due every two weeks (if you are paid every two weeks), twice a month (if you are paid twice a month), or monthly (if you receive monthly payments).
Opp:oans is an A+ BBB accredited consumer finance company that offers short term loans for non prime consumers. Although these loans have high interest rates, we recommend looking into OppLoans if you live in one of the eligible states and you are in need of emergency funds.
Frequently Asked Questions
How does OppLoans compare to other lenders?
OppLoans offers short-term online personal loans specifically for consumers with bad credit. They have exceptionally positive reviews compared to other installment based lenders (4.9 on Google over 6,984 reviews as of 9/17/2019).
Will applying for a loan through OppLoans negatively affect my credit?
No, applying for a loan with Opploans will not affect your credit.
When will I receive my funds from OppLoans?
Funds are usually deposited on the following business day. If your loan is approved before 9 pm CT from Monday to Thursday, you will usually receive your funds the next day.
If your loan is approved before 9 pm CT on Friday to Sunday, you will most likely receive your funds on Monday.
Bank holidays will push back your loan one more business day in order to process the funds.
Customers from Ohio have a cut-off time of 8 pm CT.
Does OppLoans report to the credit bureaus?
Yes, OppLoans reports to the three major credit bureaus (Experian, Equifax, and TransUnion).
Why does OppLoans need my bank account information?
OppLoans asks for your bank account information to deposit your loan and withdraw your payments on the due date. This is a standard practice with all online lenders.
What is a personal loan?
A personal loan is a large cash fund you can borrow for personal use, like paying off consolidated debt, investing in your home, a vacation, or wedding.
Does pre-approval from OppLoans guarantee a loan?
No. A pre-approved offer still needs to be subject to verification of your identity and credit.
How will I know if I've been approved by OppLoans?
You will receive an email notification from once you receive approval.
What types of credit products does OppLoans offer?
OppLoans offers two credit products: installment loans and lines of credit. The type of product you are eligible for depends on your state of residence.
What is a line of credit?
A line of credit is a revolving credit account that allows you to access your funds when you need it. Your monthly payments vary based on your terms and the amount of money you withdraw.
What is FinWise Bank?
FinWise Bank is an FDIC-insured and state-chartered bank based in Sandy, Utah. OppLoans is able to provide access to credit products through its partnership with FinWise Bank.
Although FinWise bank is the originator of loans in some states, OppLoans will still be your contact for any questions on your loan.
Reviews for OppLoans
Why leave a review about the service here?
Your reviews are a valuable source of insight for us to improve our service as well as improve the offerings. All pros and cons submitted here are evaluated and are responded. We also share these insights with our partners so that they could improve their offerings as well.
5 out of 5 stars(6 Reviews)
Post your review for OppLoans
At TheCreditReview, we value your trust.
TheCreditReview.com is a free online resource that provides valuable content and comparison features to visitors. To keep our resources 100% free for consumers, TheCreditReview.com attempts to partner with some of the companies listed on this page, and may receive marketing compensation in exchange for clicks and calls from our site. Such compensation can impact the location and order in which such companies appear on this page. All such location, order and company ratings are subject to change based on editorial decisions.
Our Personal Loans Partners
5KFunds, AmOne, BadCreditLoans.com, Credible Personal Loans, EVEN Financial, Fiona, LendingTree Personal Loans, LoansUnder36, Monevo, Next Day Personal Loan, PersonalLoans.com, SoFi, Upgrade
- Credit Score Required 350
- Minimum Loan Amount $1,000
- Max Loan Amount $4,000
- Loan APR 59% to 199%
- Time in Business Since 2009
Company Highlights & Accomplishments
Other Personal Loans Company Reviews
Recently Updated Articles