PrivacyGuard 2020 Review
Since its founding in 1973, Stamford, Connecticut-based Privacy Guard has offered credit monitoring, credit reports, identity protection, and identity theft services.
Privacy Guard allows you to access your credit reports from all three major bureaus (Experian, Equifax, and TransUnion), daily monitoring of your credit file, and email alerts when changes are detected in your credit score. They offer identity theft protection services and access to fraud recovery specialists who assist you in the case your identity is compromised.
You can register for a 14 day $1 trial to receive access for all three credit reports, but you are billed after the free trial is over. To sign up, you need to provide your name, address, date of birth, social security number, and credit card to confirm your identity.
If you are not satisfied with the monthly service, you can cancel at any time.
Contact PrivacyGuard: Website: www.privacyguard.com Phone: 800-374-8273 Email: [email protected]
- Accredited service: PrivacyGuard is accredited with an A- with the Better Business Bureau.
- Additional educational resources: PrivacyGuard offers additional resources and tools (such as their Android app).
- Three-bureau credit reports: PrivacyGuard provides credit reports from Experian, Equifax, and TransUnion.
- Toll-free 24/7 phone support
- Support for victims of identity fraud
- Receive alerts
- Assistance in credit disputes
- Users do not receive their FICO Scores or the credit bureau scores. The scores received are from CreditXpert Scores, which is not used by lenders.
- Privacy Guard does not provide identity theft insurance.
- Some users reported difficult to cancel membership and stated receiving a refund for unsatisfactory service was difficult.
Government Action In 2013, government action was taken against PrivacyGuard's parent company, Affinion Group, regarding allegations that the company misled customers into signing up for discount clubs and membership offers. The investigation uncovered several misleading marketing practices and Affinion Group paid out $19 million to affected customers.
Service Limitations PrivacyGuard is heavily reliant on credit monitoring regarding the major credit reporting agencies and does not appear to offer a variety of other important identity protection features, including bank account monitoring, identity restoration, and antivirus software. It is also unclear whether or not PrivacyGuard services customers with pre-existing identity theft conditions.
- PrivacyGuard offers a $1 fee for a 14 day trial, and $19.99/month until the service is canceled.
PrivacyGuard offers three different plans for identity protection and credit monitoring.
- Credit Protection plan: For $19.99/month, customers receive credit reports and scores, 24/7 daily credit monitoring, monthly credit score tracking, credit score simulator, financial calculator, credit information hotline, and dedicated identity fraud resolution support.
- ID Protection plan: For $9.99/month, customers receive dedicated fraud support, identity verification monitoring, black market website surveillance, social security number event tracker, online directory scan, annual public records report, public records monitoring, online fraud assistance, reduced pre-approved credit card offers, lost wallet assistance, and up to $1 million in identity theft insurance.
- Total Protection plan: For $24.99/month, customers receive all the features from both the ID Protection plan and the Credit Protection plan.
PrivacyGuard offers a variety of credit monitoring and identity protection services, including credit reports and scores, protection plans, and up to $1 million in identity theft insurance. Interested customers can contact PrivacyGuard for more information.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long is PrivacyGuard's trial period?
PrivacyGuard offers a 14 day trial period.
When can I begin using PrivacyGuard's benefits?
You can use PrivacyGuard as soon as you enroll for their services.
I am a PrivacyGuard member. Do I need to pay for my credit report each time I request it?
PrivacyGuard members receive a new credit report every 30 days with no added charge.
How frequently does PrivacyGuard update my credit score?
Customers receive daily credit monitoring.
Is PrivacyGuard's website secure?
PrivacyGuard's website uses a secure web server and SSL connection scrambles or encryption when private information is transmitted. They meet the requirements of the VeriSign and Cybertrust security seals.
Reviews for PrivacyGuard
Why leave a review about the service here?
Your reviews are a valuable source of insight for us to improve our service as well as improve the offerings. All pros and cons submitted here are evaluated and are responded. We also share these insights with our partners so that they could improve their offerings as well.
Post your review for PrivacyGuard
At TheCreditReview, we value your trust.
TheCreditReview.com is a free online resource that provides valuable content and comparison features to visitors. To keep our resources 100% free, TheCreditReview.com attempts to partner with some of the companies listed on this page, and may receive marketing compensation in exchange for clicks and calls from our site. Compensation can impact the location and order in which such companies appear on this page. All such location, order and company ratings are subject to change based on editorial decisions.
Our Credit Monitoring Partners
CreditID123, Credit Sesame, Experian, Identity Guard, IdentityIQ, TransUnion
|Credit Score Required||None|
|Trial Period||14 days|
Other Credit Monitoring Company Reviews