Why You Should Use A Professional Credit Repair Company
The Credit Review
The credit repair industry often gets a bad rap. While there are shady companies that engage in less than honest business practices (and don't deliver results), there are even more reputable credit repair services that do.
With the advent of the Credit Repair Organizations Act (CROA) and online review sites helping to expose the bad operations, consumers looking to improve their credit and remove unsightly items can now find excellent credit repair services -- many of which we believe are the best credit repair services in the industry.
Why Use A Professional Credit Repair Company?
Fixing your credit can change your life, especially since your credit score determines so many factors: whether you can take out a loan, what interest rates you pay, and even if you get that apartment or job. Credit repair can help you take back control of your finances and future.
You can always repair your credit on your own, but you will probably get the best results by hiring a professional and reputable credit repair service.
Credit repair services offer experience, expertise, and knowledge of credit repair and debt collection laws, which can save you time and stress. That being said, you can still dispute inaccurate items with the bureaus on your own.
How It Works
Credit repair is the process of disputing inaccurate negative items on your credit repair with the three major credit bureaus (Experian, Equifax, and TransUnion) and having them removed, which can eventually improve your credit score.
Just remember that credit repair is not a total fix for bad credit: it's a tool that can assist you while you are practicing other good credit habits.
For more information on other ways to improve your credit, look to our guide here.
Choosing A Credit Repair Company
There are a few things you should look for when choosing a credit repair service:
- They offer a free consultation to go over your credit reports
- They offer additional services such as goodwill letters to creditors and/or debt collectors
- They are accredited by the BBB and/or have positive reviews on review sites such as Trustpilot
- They offer a dedicated customer service representative, mobile app, or online dashboard for you to keep track of your progress
- They don't engage in shady practices such as promising to increase your credit score or charging you for services not rendered
With our top-ranked credit repair services you get:
- Easy-to-read credit reports and personalized score improvement insights
- Tools & tips to help you understand your score and take the next step to fix up your credit reports
- Free credit monitoring that can help you spot potential identity theft before it occurs
For more credit monitoring options, look to our reputable services here:
- Free consultation
- Great customer service and frequent updates
- Additional educational resources to help you with your finances
To help you get started on your credit repair journey, we've thoroughly researched the credit repair industry and selected only the very best reputable and trustworthy services.
Best Overall Credit Repair And Customer Service: Credit Saint
Credit Saint is our top choice for the best overall credit repair service. They have been active since 2004 and have numerous accreditations including an A+ from the BBB.
Credit Saint has a 90-day 100% money-back guarantee, which is the longest guarantee out of the companies we have reviewed (along with Sky Blue and The Credit Pros).
Their three differently priced plans offer basic to comprehensive services with a monthly fee ranging from $59.99 (the lowest out of all the credit repair companies we reviewed) to $99.99.
Credit Saint keeps you informed about any changes or updates in real-time with their online customer portal.
- 90-day 100% money back guarantee
- A+ BBB accredited service
- Monthly pricing starts from $59.99
Best Overall Value And Best Credit Repair Tracking: The Credit People
The Credit People receives our top honors for the best value and availability out of all the credit repair services we reviewed. They offer a mobile app and customizable text alerts that allow you to view any progress and credit repair updates made in real-time. You can also receive assistance 24/7 through a toll-free number or email.
Additionally, The Credit People sends you updated credit reports on a monthly basis and updated credit scores every 90 days.
The Credit People has several accreditations that include an A+ from the BBB and an FCRA certification. An added bonus is that they are one of the few companies with a 60-day money-back guarantee.
The Credit People charges a very low setup fee of just $19 and a monthly fee of $79 ($69 with discount code TheCreditReview).
- Exclusive promotion for TheCreditReview readers: Save $10 every month on The Credit People's top-rated services when you mention discount code TheCreditReview.
- The Credit People has one of the lowest setup fees in the industry -- only $19.
- They have a 60-day 100% money-back guarantee.
- They have several industry accreditations.
- Customers are given updates on credit progress in real-time through a mobile app and customizable text alerts.
- The Credit People can be reached 24/7 through a toll-free number or email.
- They are available in 49 states (only Oregon is not serviced).
- The Credit People has not been in business as long as many of their competitors.
Best Money-Back Guarantee, And Longest Time In Business: Sky Blue
Sky Blue Credit has the lowest overall estimated cost out of all the services we've reviewed. They have two plans with a monthly fee of either $79 for individuals or $119 for couples (50% off the second member). You are required to purchase your credit reports for either $14.95 per month or a one-time fee of $39.95.
They also have the distinction of being the longest-running credit repair service that we have reviewed; they have been in business since 1989.
Sky Blue Credit keeps an open line of communication with you and allows you to receive emails directly from the credit bureaus. They offer some unique services including debt validation, debt settlement, goodwill letters, and negotiation consultations along with extra educational resources such as a blog and articles on how to manage your finances and credit.
They are also unique in the fact that they are the only credit repair company that offers a 90-day, condition-free, 100% money-back guarantee.
- Sky Blue's 90-day money-back guarantee (the only condition-free guarantee in the industry)
- Low monthly cost (only $79/month)
- Couples discount ($119/month, which is 50% off of the second membership)
- Customers have full control of their billing dates, and can even pause their membership with a single click
- Extensive industry experience (since 1989)
- You must sign up for third-party credit monitoring.
- You do not receive a dedicated customer representative.
Most Value-Added Services And Best Nationwide Service: Lexington Law
Lexington Law is one of the longest-running and most prolific companies in the credit repair space. Since 1991, they have helped more than 500,000 clients (far more than any other credit repair company).
Lexington Law is one of the few credit repair companies that serve customers in 48 US states as well as offering extended business hours (open until midnight Eastern time on weekdays, and 11 PM Eastern on weekends). They offer three monthly plans to fit all your needs that range from $89.95 to $129.95.
Clients are connected to dedicated paralegals who give biweekly updates. Additionally, customers can receive real-time updates 24/7 through the Lexington Law mobile app.
In addition to their comprehensive services, Lexington Law has a variety of educational resources to help you better understand and manage your credit score and finances. These include articles, e-books, educational courses, videos, and an email newsletter for customers.
- Customers receive a dedicated paralegal for your case.
- Clients receive 24/7 real-time updates through a mobile app.
- Lexington Law is not BBB accredited.
- There is no money-back guarantee.
Is credit repair really worth it?
100%! For starters, fixing your credit positively impacts your credit score, which can also affect a number of other important financial choices like qualifying and receiving better rates on home loans, personal loans, and credit cards. It can even impact whether or not you get a job or a home, since prospective employers and landlords may look at your credit history.
Can I repair my credit without hiring a credit repair service?
Absolutely! You can dispute items yourself on your credit report that you feel are inaccurate. The bureaus are required to respond to you within 30 days.
If you don't want to fix your credit on your own, credit repair services can save you a lot of time and legwork.
How long will it take for me to see results?
Credit repair takes time and depends on each individual case. In general, it takes between 30 and 45 days to begin to see any changes and most credit repair services take an average of 4 to 6 months to reach optimal results.
What types of negative items can be removed from my credit report?
Credit Repair Company Reviews
Recently Updated Articles