2019 EasyKnock Review: Access Your Home Equity With Bad Credit
Updated February 6, 2019
What Is EasyKnock?
Founded in 2016, EasyKnock offers a unique residential sale-leaseback program enabling homeowners to release a portion of their home equity without having to move. EasyKnock purchases the home and becomes the landlord, while allowing homeowners to continue living in it, with the ability to repurchase the home or move at any point.
EasyKnock is an excellent alternative for homeowners who have bad credit and have been denied when applying for a home equity loan or HELOC (home equity line of credit). EasyKnock isn’t focused on creditworthiness, instead aiming to provide an alternative equity release option for homeowners through their Sell and Stay program.
Home equity is calculated by subtracting outstanding loan balances from the home’s market value. You can borrow against your home equity through a home loan or HELOC, or you can use that equity to fund buying a new home after it has been sold. However, if you use your home as collateral, you risk losing it if you fail to repay your loan.
Through Sell and Stay, EasyKnock buys the home, and the homeowner-turned-tenant receives the equity they need while continuing to live in their home as long as they pay monthly rent. Sellers can repurchase their home or move at any time.
Homeowners can fill out a short application to find out if they qualify. (Homeowners must have a home worth at least $150,000 and the mortgage must be at least 50% paid.) If they do, they negotiate a funding amount, rent amount, and repurchase price. EasyKnock will complete the lease agreements, sale, and close the deal in as little as 21 days.
You can either repurchase your home or move to a new one. If you move, EasyKnock will put your house on the market and once the house is sold, you move out and receive the remainder of your equity after closing fees, this is called the Sellout Value.
Phone: 844-888-9213 Website: www.easyknock.com Address: EasyKnock, Inc. Real Estate Services 79 Madison Avenue New York, NY 10016-7802
- Home Loan Alternative: EasyKnock offers an alternative to borrowers with bad credit who can't qualify for HELOCs or a home equity loan. This allows homeowners to stay in their current home while accessing the funds they need.
- EasyKnock is available in 38 states.
- EasyKnock has not been around long enough for a BBB accreditation, although they hold an A rating.
- EasyKnock is not currently available in California, Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Virginia, Oregon, and Vermont.
- EasyKnock doesn’t require a minimum credit score or traditional income for you to qualify. Sell and stays works best for individuals with loan-to-values of 50% or less.
- EasyKnock will work with customers to find rent that is sustainable to them.
- Homeowners can negotiate their sale price, lease length, and rent. EasyKnock’s standard lease is renewable for up to five years.
- EasyKnock's fee is 2%.
- As this is a purchase-sale agreement, typical closing costs apply.
- Rent is based on the market rent of comparable homes, and is typically 9.5% of home value annually.
- The repurchase price in the first year of your lease is the amount funded by EasyKnock plus 5%. Each following year the price either increases by the CPA (consumer price index) or 2.5% of the funding amount (whichever is greater).
- If you move, you receive the remainder of your equity (or the sellout value).
EasyKnock provides an excellent alternative for homeowners who can’t qualify for a HELOC or home equity loan due to poor credit, non-w2 income, or high debt-to-income.
If you live in one of the eligible states, we recommend contacting EasyKnock directly to learn more about how you can access your home equity through their Sell and Stay program.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long is the lease term length?
EasyKnock’s lease is a standard year in length, which can be renewed annually, or terminated at any point by exercising the option to repurchase or move. Easyknock customers can renew their yearly lease with just three months notice.
Who covers the cost of HOA, insurance, and property taxes?
EasyKnock covers the cost of HOA, insurance, and property taxes, although they recommend that their customers purchase renters insurance.
What are some important terms to know?
- Equity release: This allows you to use liquidity from your equity and have the right to use the asset.
- Funding amount: The initial payment made by EasyKnock, which also includes paying off the mortgage balance.
- Loan-to-value ratio: A loan-to-value ratio (LTV) is a ratio that compares the borrowed cash to the value of the purchased asset.
- Mortgage balance: This is the full amount owed by a homeowner and includes the principal and accrued interest.
- Repurchase price: This is the funding amount plus the inflation premium.
- Sale-leaseback: This arrangement allows the seller to lease the asset from the purchaser once the sale has been made.
At TheCreditReview, we value your trust.
TheCreditReview.com is a free online resource that provides valuable content and comparison features to visitors. To keep our resources 100% free for consumers, TheCreditReview.com attempts to partner with some of the companies listed on this page, and may receive marketing compensation in exchange for clicks and calls from our site. Such compensation can impact the location and order in which such companies appear on this page. All such location, order and company ratings are subject to change based on editorial decisions. TheCreditReview.com does not include all credit repair and reporting solutions available to customers in the market.
2019's Top Credit Repair Services
Need professional help repairing your credit report? Our experts have reviewed and ranked the top credit repair services of 2019, rating each based on reputation, BBB grades and overall results.
Latest Credit Content
- How To Manage Student Loans
- The Best Personal Loans For Bad Credit (Updated Feb 2019)
- Everything You Need To Know About Your FICO Score
- 10 Reasons A Good Credit Score Can Change Your Life
- The Best Personal Loans For Fair Credit
- The Comprehensive Guide to Credit Repair
- How To Get Approved For A Mortgage With Bad Credit
- 6 Steps To Fix Bad Credit In 2019
- 2019 EasyKnock Review: Access Your Home Equity With Bad Credit
- The Best Personal Loans For Good Credit
join our community
Stay updated with the latest credit services reviews, comparisons, deals and special offers.
Leave Your Credit Repair To The ExpertsSee The Top 5 Credit Repair Companies of 2019 Get Your Free Credit Consultation
Top Services of 2019